Southern Queensland Country
Welcome to Southern Queensland Country, Queensland's top country getaway destination. In this very special part of the world you'll experience a warm welcome and an opportunity to share our authentic way of life.
Starting just 90 minutes' drive from Brisbane, the region is rich in agriculture and industry and takes in Toowoomba and the Darling Downs, Warwick and Surrounds, Granite Belt, the South Burnett and the Western Country - an area stretching from the border town of Goondiwindi in the south to Carnarvon Gorge in the north, from Dalby in the east to St George and Mitchell in the west.
Toowoomba offers a cosmopolitan-country vibe and all the amenities you'd expect of a regional city. You'll also find a network of sizable towns and service centres such as Warwick, Goondiwindi, St George, Kingaroy, Dalby and Stanthorpe; as well as peaceful townships and quaint hamlets.
You'll find a diverse range of experiences: from exploring the cultural capital of Toowoomba to marvelling at ancient Aboriginal rock art galleries in Carnarvon National Park; from fresh water fishing in wild rivers to soaking in an artesian spa on the edge of the outback; and from tasking local produce and award winning wines in the Granite Belt and the South Burnett to sitting on the fence at the thrill-a-minute country cattle sale - it's all uniquely Southern Queensland Country and it's all within easy reach.
And you won't find strangers here…just friends you haven't met yet! With locals as colourful as our legendary sunsets, you'll discover a friendly place where there's time to take your time. Here you can slow down and re-connect with nature and with each other.
Toowoomba Region Highlights
- See a show at the beautiful heritage-listed Empire Theatre or a production at USQ Artsworx
- Experience spring at its blooming best at the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers in September
- Learn a heritage trade such as silversmithing, millinery or leatherwork at the Cobb + Co. Museum in Toowoomba
- Savour the view from Picnic Point Lookout
- Wander through the Australian Army Flying Museum, or take in the Transport and Main Roads Heritage Centre
- Visit the Woolshed at Jondaryan, a fascinating open-air working museum dating back to the 1800s
South Burnett Region Highlights
- Walk, cycle or ride the old Brisbane Valley Rail Trail - Yarraman to Blackbutt atop the Blackbutt Range.
- Drink in the fresh mountain air in the Bunya Mountains.
- Picnic, fish and ski at Bjelke-Petersen Dam and Lake Boondooma.
- Savour the region's food and wine.
- Watch the sunset from Boat Mountain.
- Browse local markets, interactive museums and artisan galleries.
Warwick and Surrounds Highlights
- Visit spectacular Queen Mary Falls and Carrs Lookout near Killarney.
- Indulge in the fantastic fare at Spring Creek Mountain Cottages and Café.
- Admire Warwick's historic sandstone buildings including Town Hall, Police Station and St Mary's Catholic Church.
- Warwick Rodeo or Jumpers and Jazz in July.
- Cast a line in one of the many dams and try your luck at catching a bite.
Granite Belt Highlights
- Bushwalk in Girraween National Park, take in the stunning views and marvel at the gigantic granite boulders.
- Sample award-winning Granite Belt wine at one of over 40 cellar doors.
- Indulge in exceptional regional fare including locally-cured meats, jams and preserves, olives, olive oils, cheeses and chocolates.
- Experience one of the region's unique seasonal events like the iconic Apple & Grape Festival
Western Country Highlights
- Relax and unwind with a riverside stroll, as many towns are based around a waterway and feature beautiful riverwalks.
- Drop a line in and enjoy some great inland fishing in one of the many creeks, rivers and dams.
- Step back in time at a local Historical or Pioneering village.
- Share a yarn and an icy cold beer with one of the locals at a Western Country pub. Check out the Nindigully Pub, the Victoria Hotel at Goondiwindi or the Injune Hotel.
- Explore one of the region's National Parks - from Sandstone cliffs at Carnarvon Gorge to the spectacular lookouts from Lonesome Section in Expedition National Park.
- Find an amazing variety of birds and their habitats throughout the region.
- Discover amazing flora at Myall Park Botanic Garden at Glenmorgan
Useful Contacts & Things to See & Do
Adventure Way Promotions Group
Ph: 07 4655 3399 W: www.thargotourism.com.au
The Adventure Way travels west from Brisbane through Toowoomba, Dalby, Moonie, Westmar, St George, Bollon, Cunnamulla, Eulo, Thargomindah, Nockatunga to Innamincka in South Australia and follows the Strzelecki Track to the Flinders Ranges and Adelaide.
Great Inland Way Promotions Group
Ph: 07 4761 5533
Great Inland Way exploring 2200km inland route from Sydney to Cairns
Ph: 1300 602 902
Peters Coaches are more than just your average coach company. We provide a variety of travel solutions form basic charter services through to domistic and international extended tour packages. If there is a destination that you have in mind Peters Coaches can find a way to get you there. The combination of our modern fleet of vehicles and experienced staff ensures the smooth operation of any of our services and with a strong focus on customer service we can guarantee a fantastic experience from the moment we pick up the phone. Call us today for any of your travel needs!
Rural Getaway Promotions Group
Ph: 07 4679 4000 W: www.ruralgetaway.info
Rural getaway tourist route - Warialda, NSW to Mundubbera, QLD